Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Farmhouse Applesauce cookies~A Taste of Fall


This is my hubby's favorite cookie!  Whenever I ask him what he would like for me to bake, this is it!  It is a recipe handed down from one generation to another.  His mother had given it to me when we were first married.  Her mother had given it to her.  



I just love the new Pioneer woman dishes.  I had been needing a new baking dish, and when I saw them at Wal-Mart they came home with me along with the sweet dishtowel.  In no way is anyone paying me for saying this, I just really like them


The larger baking dish has a row of flowers around the upper edge.  The edges are somewhat fluted.  I really love the blues and orange golds in the smaller dish.




The smaller dish has the words "Made with love" in the center.


The paisley dishtowel has beautiful colors.  I have plans for this towel and it is NOT to dry dishes!  I hope to have it done for the next post!

My recipe is quite faded and worn with use over the last 47 years, however, I still love it!  Not for the look but the 
meaning behind it.  


FARMHOUSE APPLESAUCE COOKIES 
From Quaker Hill Farm

Preparation time: 20 minutes Cook time: 15 minutes Makes 3 dozen cookies
Ingredients
● ½ Cup Vegetable shortening
● 1 Cup Sugar
● 1 egg

● 1¼ Cup Applesauce
● 1 Cup Raisins
● ½ Cup Chopped Walnuts
● 2and1/2 Cup all purpose flour
● 1 Teaspoon Soda
● 1 Tsp Cinnamon
¼ Tsp ground cloves
1 Tsp Salt
Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Beat together shortening, sugar, and egg until creamy. 
Sift flour, measure and sift again with the soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt.
Add the sifted dry ingredients to the shortening mixture alternately with the applesauce.
Add raisins and nuts.
I use parchment paper on my cookie sheet, but if you elect not, grease the cookie sheet. Drop cookie dough onto the cookie sheet 2
tablespoons or to your liking. 
Make sure there is space between the cookies because they will run some during baking. Bake for 15 minutes or until nicely browned.
Tops of the cookies should be a golden brown. Let the cookies rest on the cookie sheet until they firm a bit, then place on a
cooling rack until cool.
Enjoy! 




Wal-Mart also had the sweetest mums for $1.00 each.  I am filling a hanging basket with them.  Hope to post this very soon. 


As one last note, my friend Jes at Strangers and Pilgrims, has a wonderful new E-Book coming out, Please go see her here.

A very special thank you to Cooking and crafting with J&J for featuring this post!


Linking to the following lovely parties!

1.  Home and Garden Thursday
2.  Share Your Cup Thursday
3.  Share Your Style
4.  Thoughts of Home
5.  Simple and Sweet Fridays
6.  Grace at Home
7.  Feathered Nest Friday
8.  Foodie Friday
9.  Shabilicious Friday
10.  Home sweet Home
11.  Share it One More Time
12.  Dishing it and Digging it
13.  Art of Homemaking Mondays
14.  Busy Monday
15.  Cooking and Crafting with J&J
16.  Met Monday
17.  The Scoop
18.  Wow us Wednesdays
19.  Wonderful Wednesday

No comments: