Thursday, July 21, 2016

An Ordinary Cake Mix turns Extraordinary!



First, I want to say I am NOT a cake decorator!  I really don't have a lot of patience for that activity.  I certainly DO love the way they look and taste, however!

Since I have retired I am trying to save as much money as possible, but still provide beauty and uniqueness for our home.
A recent tea party for the grandkiddos was a great opportunity to try out the cupcakes on these cuties.


It is expensive to buy ready-made cupcakes.  So, on the bent for frugality, I bought a $1.00 box of cake mix and then made it my own!

 We were using a butterfly and flower theme for the party.  Stashed away in a cupboard I found these fun little silicone cupcake holders in the shape of a butterfly and flower.  I am pretty sure they came from Hobby Lobby.

The plain Devils food chocolate cake mix, (purchased from Aldi's) was made extraordinarily moist by using the measurements on the box with the following changes/additions.
1.  Add One more egg than the box mix called for.
2.  Replaced the oil with double the amount of melted butter.
3.  Replaced the water with an equal amount of milk. 
4.  Add two teaspoons of Vanilla.
Mix and bake as directed on the cake box.
The Buttercream icing was a recipe from a friend.  After it was made, I dropped just one drop of food coloring in some of the icing to tint it pink.

Buttercream Frosting Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup butter, room temp
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 3 3/4 cup confectioners sugar
  • 5 tbsp heavy cream
  • 1 tsp flavoring (vanilla, almond, lemon etc.)-I used Vanilla.
Directions:

Buttercream Directions:
  1. Beat together butter and shortening until light and fluffy.
  2. Add in confectioners sugar a cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
  3. Add the heavy cream and your flavoring of choice and beat for 1 – 2 minutes on high speed.
The Frosting was easy to use and didn't try my patience a whole lot.   

Thanks for looking and good luck in Frosting those cupcakes!  I've got to hand it to anyone who does this for a living!  







No comments: