Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Treasure in the Rough-Transforming a Rustic Tool Caddy!


It never fails to amaze me how a little imagination and paint can transform something pretty rough and plainly ugly!  I have had this very rough wood tool caddy for a long time.  I have used it as is when I wanted a more primitive look.  I love the black and white check look.  Take a peek at how this ugly caddy was transformed!

This is the piece in its original shape!  Clearly not much to look at.  It has nice pockets on both sides.  I really can't wait to use it for many decorating projects I have in mind!


I first washed it off real well and let it dry.  Then I gathered my paints and went to work.  It was given a white wash with a mix of sand color for the base coat.




For the checks I cut a sponge 1 and 1/4 inches square.   The sponge was dipped in black paint and then dabbed in the checkerboard pattern.  This is a very easy way to make a checkerboard.  I used this all the way around the outside edges.  I painted the seam edges a solid black to give it a contrast.   

To add dimension dry brush a little gray and a little brown onto the white squares.  I wanted to add some folk art looking flowers to the sides.  This also is simple to do.  Take a flat brush and make swirls around in a circle.  Use a small round brush for the vines and contrast with black and a dark brown.  for the center of the flower and the leaves I used a sage color and then golden brown in the center.  The leaves were also made with a flat brush.  Load one side with the sage color and the other side with a darker contrast green.  Blend and then paint the leaves to your liking.  



 Continue to add detail to your painting as you like.  I dry brushed some golden brown around the flowers and vines.  



It was given a couple of coats of matte varnish and now it is ready to be  used!  I have many plans for it!  I can just see white pumpkins with it and fall flowers.  Look for how I used it on my table in the near future!


As you can see both sides are painted just a little different.  That is the fun part about creativity.  It is yours so you can do with it what you want!


I made some apple dumplings this afternoon and the caddy provides a pretty good background!  I am planning a post for the apple dumpling recipe soon!



 Here are some more views in a different location.  Hope you have enjoyed seeing the ugly transformation to beauty!  











Blessings this day!

Sharing this post with these lovely parties!

What a surprise I received when I opened Rooted In Thyme this morning!  The Fall in All its Glory post was featured!  thank you Jody and Stan!
Rooted In Thyme

I was also featured with this post at A Delightsome life!  Home and Garden Thursday-Thank you Kathy!



1.  Common Ground
Share Your Style
2.  Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson
Share Your cup Thursday
3.  A Delightsome Life
Home and Garden Thursday
4.  Rooted In Thyme
Simple and Sweet Fridays
5. Must Love Home
Friday Favorites
6. The Charm of Home
Home Sweet Home
7. City of Creative Dreams
The Beautifully Creative Inspired
8.  Stonegable
The Scoop
9. A Stroll Thru Life
Inspire Me Tuesday
10. The Enchanting Rose
Roses of Inspiration
11. Between Naps on the Porch
Met Monday
12. Lehman Lane
Dream. Create. Inspire
13. Sew Crafty Angel
Wake up Wednesday Linky party
14. Savvy Southern Style
Wow us Wednesdays

No comments: