Wednesday, September 23, 2015

An Osage Orange Tablescape-using what is in my hand!


As I was mowing near the edge of our pasture ground the other day I about got hooked by a hedge apple tree!  The fruit from this tree has a citrus green color and bumpy outside appearance!  I was not very happy with that tree just then, but then started thinking about how I could use its fruit.  I had just purchased a few pieces of the new pioneer woman dishes and thought maybe somehow this might be incorporated in a table setting.  I thought it might be a nice contrast to the dishes.





For the most part the Osage Orange is not considered edible, however, squirrels and other animals will eat the fruit.  You can read more about the Osage Orange here.  It is not related to the orange but has an odor similar.


I wanted to play off of the theme of the everlasting wreath so topped the osage orange with some sedum, and other small flowers.  The small orange/red flower is almost an exact match to the teacup!  


Since the osage orange has a milky substance that can come from it I did not want to sit it directly on the dishes.  I took a canning jar lid, painted it a warm autumn brick color, and glued the lid inside.  This provided a platform to place the osage orange.  


I secured the little boquet to the top of the osage with a florist pin.  Expect the milky substance to ooze out!  Hence the need of a platform!  

I had some faux fall leaves that I placed on the base of the lid and then placed the osage orange on top of the leaves.  I used a piece of scrapbook paper and made a tag and placed it along side the Osage.  


I am really loving the new pieces!  










I am sharing this post with these lovely parties!

1.  Common Ground
Share Your Style
2.  Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson
Share Your Cup Thursday
3. A Delightsome Life
Home and Garden Thursday
4. Between Naps on the Porch
Tablescape Thursday
5.  Rooted in Thyme
Simple and Sweet Fridays
6.  The Charm of Home
Home Sweet Home
7.  Must Love Home
Friday Favorites
8.  Rattlebridge Farm
Foodie Friday












No comments: