Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Mom's Best Oatmeal Cake-The Family Circle



I am sure most have recipes which have been handed down from generation to generation.  Mom's Oatmeal Cake is one of those for our family.  As a kid I can remember having this dessert for Sunday dinner.  It has a rich smooth cinnamon taste.  The icing is toasted coconut, butter, and brown sugar.  Our two youngest grandchildren came for a visit yesterday and so I told them the story of how this was always a favorite when I was growing up, so the circle continues!  Beautiful colors and great flavors, what more speaks of fall than that combination.  

I have one special baking dish I use for most 9x13 cake recipes.  It is a pottery piece which is now crazed from much use, but I still use it because I love the colors and the message that it holds.  The artistry reminds me of a quilt.  The center has what looks like stitching that states, "Families are circles of Love and Strength."   Around the outside the words "Live, Laugh, Love, and Learn" are written. 



I had not purchased any new dishes for quite a long time.  When I walked into Wal-Mart this weekend and saw these, OH MY!  I fell in love with the new Pioneer Woman dishes!  The colors really spoke to me.  I have purchased a few pieces now and hope to add to this.  I love those teals, poppy reds, blues, golden yellows, and greens!  

The Oatmeal Cake pops on this pottery!  I am loving it!  It speaks fall to me in its richest colors!


The Osage orange, alias Hedge apple, place card holder will be shown how I made it in another post!



It is pretty tasty with a good cup of hot tea or coffee!





 Trust you will enjoy a little piece of down Home Quaker Hill Farm Oatmeal Cake!  I plan to keep the circle of the love of tradition going in our family by sharing with my children and grandchildren those special recipes from one generation to the next!


Moms Oatmeal Cake
From Quaker Hill Farms

Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Serves: 8 to 12

Ingredients


Cake
  • 1 Cup of quick cooking oats
  • 1 and 1/4 cup of boiling water
  • 1 Cup White Sugar
  • 1 Cup Brown Sugar
  • ½ Cup Shortening
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1 and ⅓ cup Flour
  • 1 Teaspoon Soda
  • 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
  • ½ Teaspoon salt

Icing
  • 1 Cup Coconut
  • ½ Cup Brown Sugar
  • ¼ Cup Evaporated Milk
  • 6 Tablespoon Soft Butter
  • 1 Teaspoon Vanilla



Directions

  • Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
  • Mix the oats with the water which has been boiled and let stand for 20 minutes
  • Mix the Sugar, Shortening, eggs, flour, soda cinnamon, and salt together
  • Add the Oats
  • Mix All together
  • Bake for 30 minutes
Icing:
  • After cake cools mix the Coconut, Brown Sugar, Milk, and Vanilla
  • Spread over the cake
  • Turn the broiler on HI and place under broiler watching carefully!  When Coconut has browned remove from oven and let cool then...
ENJOY!

I am linking to the following Lovely Parties

I am so very honored!  Sweet Sew Crafty Angel featured our Transformation of a tool caddy post!  Thank  you soo very much!

Wake Up Wednesday Linky

1.  Wow us Wednesdays-Savvy Southern Style
2.  Lehman Lane
Dream. Create. Inspire
3. Sew Crafty Angel
Wake up Wednesday Linky party
4.  Common Ground
Share Your Style
5. Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson
Share Your Cup Thursday
6. A Delightsome Life
Home and Garden Thursday
7.  Rooted in Thyme
Simple and Sweet Fridays
8.  The Charm of Home
Home Sweet Home
9.  Must Love Home
Friday Favorites
10. Rattlebridge Farm
Foodie Friday



















No comments: