Monday, September 28, 2015

Fall in a Jar Candle-Making do with what is available!

I just love candles!  Anytime of the year they add such ambiance to any setting!  I had purchased a plain jar candle in a lovely fall scent called buttered maple syrup.  It smells just as good as the name implies!  Alas the jar was so plain and since I love all things colorful it seemed that a good old fashioned decoupage would be perfect!  See how I did it below!




I chose a rather subdued paper napkin to decoupage onto the jar candle.  It has a pretty brick color with a creamy tan.  I had picked up the napkins at Hobby Lobby.


1.  Start by gathering your supplies.  Gather, Mod Podge, the napkin, scissors, and a plastic bag to work on, and a sponge brush.  I also had a little holder that I placed the candle to dry after the Mod Podge had been applied.  

2.  Cut the napkin with the design that you want to the size of the jar from the neck of the jar to the bottom edge of the candle.



I folded the lower edge of the napkin up to make a smooth edge on the bottom.  

3.  Using the sponge brush liberally paint the jar candle from the neck down with the Mod Podge.

You now have a tacky surface to adhere the napkin.


4.  Smooth the napkin onto the jar candle trying to eliminate as many wrinkles as you can.  As it dries it does become a little smoother.  Wait until the napkin is dry before going to the next step.

5.  Use the paint brush and go over the napkin on the outside with the Mod Podge.

6.  I painted a wide mouth jar ring a brick color and it fit perfectly over the top edge of the jar candle.  I did not chose to glue this to the jar but I suppose you could if you wanted.  This serves two purposes.  It is a protection for the candle and also helps to hide the edge of the napkin.

7.  Let the jar dry thoroughly.  Depending upon the day, this took about 2 hours to totally dry.

8.  I chose to add a strip of fabric around the center of the candle in a pretty paisley pattern which mimics the teapot and teacup.  I cut the strip 2 and 1/2 inches wide and the length around the outside of the candle. Fold the two raw edges toward the middle.  Then glue it with the Mod Podge to the candle.

I chose to tie some twine around the center of the fabric and then used faux leaves to finish off the look!  A great way to coordinate your candle with your table setting.  


The napkin is somewhat translucent and provides such a pretty glow for your table!  



I am linking this post to these lovely parties!

1. Between Naps on the Porch
2. Strangers and Pilgrims on Earth
3.  The Enchanting Rose
4.  Stonegable
5.  A Stroll Thru Life
6. A Delightsome life
7. Cozy Little House
8.  Savvy Southern Style
9. Sew Crafty Angel
10.  Common Ground
11. Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson
















No comments: