Thursday, August 11, 2016

Back to School and a Party Cake



Now this kind of cake I can make!  Please don't ask me to bake a three layer cake because I am afraid you would be sadly disappointed!  
Our grandkids started back to school this week.  I wanted to have them over for a pizza party and encourage them to do their best this school year.  
As I was looking for Back to School ideas on Pinterest this cute school cake idea popped up.  I loved how bright and colorful it was and decided it would be a perfect fit for the school year send off.  
The tutorial was excellent on how the cake was made.  You can find the tutorial here.  Just a couple of things I did differently.  I wanted to save a bit of money on ribbon.  I purchased 1-inch crepe paper to go around the cake and then cut a strip of fabric to tie on top of the crepe paper.  I had some curly ribbon which gave it some pizzazz!  The grand kiddos loved it!  (The different layers are held onto a paper towel roll, paper towels still in place, with rubber bands and then covered with ribbon.)


Our local Dollar General had all of the supplies I needed.  

A simple clean up was indeed what I wanted for this party.  A black plastic cloth was placed on the table to remind of a chalkboard.  All of the plates, utensils, napkins, and tablecloth were disposable.


For the base of the cake, I used a foam board.  A 10-inch circle was cut from the board and then a vintage Dick and Jane piece of scrapbook paper was used to cover the board.


The extra pieces were used a part of the table decor.  I cut around them with scrapbook scissors.





Red paper plates, black and white polka dot napkins and green napkins were certainly an easy clean up after the party was over.  Cappuccino bottle, which had been purchased from Aldi's were used for the kiddos drinks.  I wasn't sure if chalk would work, but each person's name was written near their plate


It did make for a very festive table.  What fun it is to delight family. I will be doing this again next weekend when another set of our grand kiddos come for a visit. 





I love to treat our family as honored guests.  I truly hope in years to come they might remember the back to school send-off!  



The cake project took about 45 minutes to complete.





With the great tutorial, this was a very simple idea to put together!  If you are looking to treat your own little ones with a special colorful treat you might give this a try!! 

Linking to the following lovely parties!

No comments: