Thursday, August 27, 2015

Blueberry Coffee Cake down on the Farm!



Blueberries are one of my favorite fruits and I definitely have a sweet tooth!  They are so healthy (well maybe not fixed this way) and tasty!  I had berries which I had frozen that needed to be used.  I always think of the old adage "waste not want not" when I contemplate whether to use something or throw it out!  I am much more frugal and not nearly as wasteful as I used to be!  I also wanted to share some with my mother-in-law.  She is such a sweet lady and is always so gracious to me.  

I used some of my hope chest Haviland Bavarian wedding china and the Blueberry coffee cake was a nice contrast.  I had gotten a favorite Christmas book a few Christmas ago and discovered this recipe.  It is very moist, tasty, and definitely rich!



It is a nice coffee cake to guess what~go with coffee, tea, or for that matter a good cold glass of milk!  It makes a 9x13 pan and you can be generous with the servings.



I have also made this recipe using blackberries and I suppose just about any fruit would work.  

So without further adieu here is the recipe for the Blueberry Coffee Cake:

2 c. flour
1 c. sugar
1 c. milk
1/3 c. butter, softened
1 egg
1 T. baking powder
1 t. salt
1 ½ c. blueberries (I used frozen; thawed slightly)
Beat all ingredients, except blueberries, in a large bowl on a low speed for 30 seconds. Then beat on medium speed for 2 minutes scraping the bowl occasionally.
Grease a 13x9 pan. Spread half the batter in the pan. Sprinkle blueberries over batter; then, top with remaining batter. Add Streusel Topping and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Cool 10 minutes in pan. Can be inverted onto a serving plate or left in pan. Drizzle with Glaze. Makes 16 servings.

Streusel Topping:
½ c. chopped walnuts or pecans
1/3 c. brown sugar, packed
¼ c. flour
½ t. cinnamon
1 T. butter, softened
Mix all ingredients together until crumbly. Sprinkle on top of cake.

Glaze:
1 c. powdered sugar
2 T. milk
¼ t. vanilla
Combine all ingredients; drizzle over top of cake.





This makes a beautiful fall desert and great for gift giving or like me to share with your mother-in-law and show a little hospitality!  Thank you for taking a peek!  Blessings and enjoy!

Sharing with these beautiful Parties:
1. Have a Daily cup of Mrs. Olson
Share Your Cup Thursday
2. Rattlebridge Farm
Foodie-Friday
3. Must Love Home
Friday Favorites
4.  Stonegable
The Scoop
5. A Stroll Thru Life
Inspire me Tuesday
6. The Enchanting Rose
Roses of Inspiration
7.  Savvy Southern Style
Wow us Wednesday
8.  Lehman Lane
Dream. Create. Inspire

No comments: