Monday, January 24, 2011

Tea and Handmade pottery

This is my first post regarding tea. Taking tea is probably one of my favorite things to do. In brings back many precious memories of tea parties with my mom and her friends. As a young girl there was a great bond of friendship that developed and now has lasted well beyond the years of my mother's life.


I was so pleasantly surprised when our youngest son became a potter. He has made some beautiful pieces. My favorites are the cobalt blue sponge. The chunky tea pot and cup are among some of my very special pieces he has made for me. He also made the crock sitting in the pic. 

Apple dumplings just seem to go with tea. One of my "Tea" friends is a great cook.  She has shared her recipe for the dumplings and they are just wonderful! Won't you join me for a cup of tea and cinnamon apple dumplings. Just smell that great aroma!

I am sure my friend would not mind me sharing her wonderful recipe for the Dumplings:
Dough:
2 cups white Flour
1 cup of Crisco or shortening of choice
1/2 cup milk
Mix and roll out.  Cut into 6 squares.
Dumplings:
Peel core and slice 6 apples.
Sauce:
2 cups Water
1 cup Sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Boil this mixture for 3 minutes.
Place sliced apples in the middle of the dough squares and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar (Use 1/2 cup sugar and 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon to sprinkle)  Put a pat of butter on top of the apples and cinnamon sugar mixture.
Fold dough over the apple slices and round with your hands.  Place in pan and then pour the sauce around the dumplings.  
Bake @ 425 degrees for 40 minutes.  Great with a dollop of ice cream!  Enjoy... 


I am linking to Tea Time Tuesday. Thank you for hosting this beautiful site.


Tea Time Tuesday

3 comments:

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Lynn,
Thank you for joining me for tea today. Your blue pottery is just wonderful and I love Apple Dumplings although I haven't had one in a while! I must try your recipe; thanks for sharing. So happy to 'meet' you and have a lovely day.

Blessings,
Sandi

Lynn said...

Hi Lynn,
I am another Lynn, lol, and welcome you to Teacup Tuesday at Sandi's. I love the beautiful pottery your son made for you. The roses in the crock are a lovely compliment to your pieces. How fun your son is a potter. Gotta tell you this, for a week in Oct my hubby and I were 14 miles from you, in Rockville. I so love your country life. We drove all around Parke County but I don't remember seeing a sign for Dana. But I sure know of 36. I am wondering if we past by your house, or even if I took pictures, avid photographer here, lol, an could not get enough country photos to suit my very "country girl heart". I so envy you having a potter in the family. Does he sell his pottery in Nashville, Indiana? We spent another week there because of all the studios and artistic element. So great to meet you! I am your newest follower. Have a great week!

Lynn said...

Me again, I don't see a Follower thingy on your blog, so when you do add one I will be your first follower. I really, really love the pottery. Reminds me so much of all the pieces in the shops in Nashville which I loved. Does your son have a website?