Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Beautiful Fall Garland~Osage orange (Hedge Apple)



I have had it in my mind to use the branches of the osage orange tree, otherwise known as a hedge apple, in a garland for the fireplace mantel.  Every day when I looked out the kitchen window, the tree laden with the heavy green fruit looked ready to use.  It also was a real pain to mow underneath, so this was a two-edged deal.  Make a garland and get rid of some of the low hanging branches.



Last fall I had used the fruit in a tablescape.  


You can see that post here.



My view from the kitchen window.  The bottom picture is how the fruit looks on the hedge tree.  

In days gone by it is my understanding farmers would use the hedge tree to keep the cattle in the pasture.  I am not certain, but probably my grandfather might have planted this to do just that, or it might have just grown wild.  There is a large pasture which drops down directly beneath this picture. 


The branches ready to be made into the garland.




Preserved dried leaves were woven into the garland for a fall pop of color.  A dark brown wire pumpkin with a leaf candle was added.  The spool of old wire on the left was found in the old barn before it was torn down.  





This is just an example of using what is available to make some unique and pretty.  The only thing it cost was my time to cut down the branches.  Everything else I already had on hands.  

Have a beautiful fall day!

1.  Wow us Wednesdays
2.  Wonderful Wednesday
3.  Share Your Cup
4.  Feathered Nest Friday
5.  Foodie Friday
6.  Grace at Home
7.  Home Sweet Home
8.  Home and Garden Thursday
9.  Shabbilicious Friday
10.  Share Your Style
11.  Simple and Sweet Fridays
12.  Thoughts of Home
13.  The Art of Homemaking Mondays
14.  Met Monday
15.  Busy Monday
16.  Cooking and Crafting with J&J
17.  Dishing it and Digging it
18.  The Scoop

No comments: